MIT Traditional Health Plan
The Traditional MIT Health Plan offers convenient access to a broad range of MIT Medical services and specialties delivered by our staff of more than 100 physicians, nurse practitioners, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and other health care professionals at our on-campus location. Several services are also offered at Lincoln Laboratory in Lexington.
As a member of the Traditional MIT Health Plan, you’ll enjoy the highest quality preventive, diagnostic, and therapeutic health care from people who are also members of the Institute community. If you receive treatment at MIT Medical, or by referral at one of our affiliate hospitals, you’ll be covered for the following services:
- Office visits to most clinical services at MIT Medical, often with no referral needed
- Urgent care at MIT Medical seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., plus 24-hour phone assistance.
- Routine physical exams (only at MIT Medical)
- Routine eye exams at MIT Medical
- Women’s health care services, including gynecological exams, mammograms, interrupted pregnancies, and maternity coverage
- Outpatient psychotherapy evaluation and short-term treatment at MIT Medical
- Inpatient care at participating hospitals or substance abuse treatment facilities
- Mental health and substance abuse benefits through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Managed Care Behavioral Health Network
- Cancer treatment
- Vision, hearing, cholesterol, and other screening tests
- Diagnostic, lab, and X-ray services
- Immunizations at MIT Medical
- Prescription drugs dispensed at the MIT Pharmacy (or through a participating Express Scripts pharmacy, subject to a higher copayment)
- Out-of-area urgent and emergency care services
Getting care outside the coverage area
If you have a medical emergency anywhere in the world, your care is covered (subject to standard copays) as long as you notify your primary care provider (for services received in Massachusetts) or Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (for services received outside Massachusetts) within 48 hours of receiving care. To find a health care provider outside Massachusetts or the United States, go to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Doctor and Hospital Finder.
Because the MIT Traditional Health Plan is administered by both the MIT Health Plans Office and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts, there are several documents that provide information about the plan:
- The 2015 brochure is a four-page summary of the plan for prospective members published before MIT’s benefits Open Enrollment in the fall.
- The 16-page member handbook is sent to new members enrolling in the MIT Traditional Health Plan. It has a more detailed explanation of how to get care at MIT Medical and elsewhere, as well as a summary of member rights and responsibilities.
- The 2014 Blue Cross Network Blue Benefit Description (96 pages) details the covered services and benefits administered by BCBSMA.
- The addendum (33 pages) has the most comprehensive schedule of benefits, as well as other services provided by MIT Medical or administered by the MIT Health Plans Office.
If you need further assistance, please contact Claims and Member Services at 617-253-5979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.